Saturday, December 08, 2007

Christmas Copter/Fun

One of my issues with working on the helicopter has been getting time to actually test. I can only really work weekends and evenings. If the weather is bad on the weekend, that means no testing for the whole week. I just discovered that people fly RC helicopters at night. (the previous link is not me)

I bought a pair of lit blades and some glow wire to give it a try. I'm not the worlds best RC pilot, I can hover nose in, nose out and fly around a little, but not a whole lot more. So I was worried about flying the big trex with 3K worth of electronics on it and crashing it. So I went to the hobby store today and bought some night blades for my little Trex. $45.00 worth of blades seems like a good price to see if I can fly at night. I wired up the glow wire and went out and tried flying it. I flew off three full battery packs in drive way at night, the test was both a success and a bit of fun. So now I have the confidence to be comfortable flying the big trex in an open field at night! My wifes comment "oh thats pretty it matches our Christmas lights, a Christmas copter!"